One of the things that makes mold so dangerous inside a home is that it is not always easy to detect. In fact, many homeowners have no clue that they are living with a mold infestation until after this problem has already caused serious damage to their home and potentially put their health at risk. Thankfully, it is possible for you to detect this problem early on by learning to identify warning signs of mold growth. If you spot any of the warning signs below in your home, you will need to contact a mold testing company as soon as possible to have your home tested for the presence of mold.
#1: Bubbles In Your Paint Or Wallpaper
Mold growth is often the result of water damage inside your home. This is because mold requires an environment high in moisture in order to grow. Consequently, mold growth is very common inside of walls where leaks in the plumbing system are most likely to go unnoticed. If there is a leak in your walls, the excess moisture caused by this leak will often result in your paint or wallpaper developing bubbles on the surface. While the presence of water damage does not guarantee you also have a mold problem, these two issues routinely go hand in hand. That is why it is always a good idea to contact both a plumber and a mold testing company if you spot this particular warning sign.
#2: A Musty Odor In Your Home
Most homeowners do not think of mold as having a smell. However, thanks to the moisture required for mold to grow, it is often possible to detect a potential mold problem using your sense of smell. If you notice a musty odor in your home on a regular basis, this could be a sign of mold problems. It is important to note that this type of odor will not be easily gotten rid of using air freshener products and may seem to be coming directly from your walls or air vents rather than from a garbage can or other common source of foul odors.
#3: Dark Spots On Air Filters
When changing the air filter in your furnace or air conditioner, take a moment to inspect the filter for dark spots. These dark spots can be mold spores that were caught by the filter when pulling in air from around your home. In many cases, these dark spots will feel slimy or furry to the touch. You may also find similar spots on walls, clothing, and furnishings around your home.
To learn more, contact a mold testing company today.